Thursday, March 26, 2009

"what I thought it was it isn't now"

Night one of the tour is about to end. Pretty soon I will put my head into a questionably clean pillow and pass out. We are underground. In band room #6 at Coulson Tavern in Sudbury. To be honest I am not even sure that is what this place is called. There are a few different signs on/in the bar.

We departed Kitchener around 1130am. Within 15 minutes Atlas' temperature gauge was climbing skeptically high. As we pulled into one of those giant space station motorway places, coolant rushed out of our grill and steam flooded the cabin. Emeri, thinking it was surely a fire, almost kicked open the door on his way out. I haven't seen him exit a school bus that quickly since the beginning of summer holidays when we were growing up.


Paul made a quick phone call and help arrived "Faster than CAA." He sped off to Canadian Tire and bought us a new T joint. This was a very minor repair. Given my complete lack of sleep the last few nights, I slept in the loft through the entire affair. Paul's greasy hands were a sure indication of a successful repair. Yes Paul!

So after a few hours we were back on the road. I should tell you that Atlas gets horrible mileage. The bus runs on propane (which we call proPAIN). After almost running dry we coasted into a station just outside of Sudbury. A cockerspaniel pumped our propain. Panic. Panic Panic. Hello, sorry I would just like some pain please.

Finally we arrived at Coulsons/The Nightclub/whatever it is called. Nice stage and friendly staff. We setup and went for dinner. Since we hadn't touched the food budget for the day we went for Italian at a place called 'Respect is Burning'. Not fancy, but not bottom of the barrel either. Rob and I both ordered the 'Werewolf at Night' pizza. Fantastic.

The set went well. Played some new songs and a small encore for a small crowd and then we watched a female acoustic duo perform. I forget the names (I feel like a jerk, but I have a cd and it's written down) but they were excellent. We got to hear Neil's, 'Comes a Time'. Tomorrow they are playing in Sault Ste Marie as well and I think they might come to our show at Coch's.

There is a different air about the band this tour. I think we all know what we're in for and we're pacing ourselves. I recently listened to a podcast in which a booking agent compared touring to prison except on wheels. I think it's a lot more fun than that but it can be trying. It is many miles away from resembling a road trip.

I'm gonna try to document this tour in a more cohesive manner (for my sake and your amusement/enjoyment) but you never know when we'll be stranded or whatnot and updates will be impossible. Also, sometimes I just want to be here as opposed to writing about being here.

The fridge in this room hums like an engine. Suddenly the lights just flick on and I turn to see Emeri in his underwear, wrestling the beast into silence. Well at least he wasn't singing Rod Stewart... ;)

Sleep.

g.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Elma said...

What's wrong with Rob Stewart? :)
Hey, very glad you made it for the show and that you are okay. Keep safe and healthy. Good luck with Atlas and with finding stations to get your proPAIN...
All the best at Coch's Corner tonight.

Elma said...

Sorry, I meant Rod Stewart... no allusion to our Rob...

Anonymous said...

Hey Emeri wears underwear now?? I thought he went commando, or so he told me on the Argentina trip, lol.
Look on the bright side guys at least you all got a steam clean before your first gig.

Blog Archive